Weddings and FuneralsWritten by firstname.lastname@example.org on Oct 07, 2016
At Nativity, we are glad to walk with our members through the transitions of life, both joyful and sorrowful. Here are some of the basics about weddings and funerals at Nativity. For more information, please contact our Rector, Pastor Susan, at email@example.com.
We are delighted to host weddings for our members at Nativity, including any marriage that is allowed under Arizona law. Here are some of the basics:
- In the Episcopal Church, Christian marriage is a solemn and public covenant between two people in the presence of God. In the Episcopal Church it is required that one, at least, of the parties must be a baptized Christian; that the ceremony be attested by at least two witnesses; and that the marriage conform to the laws of the State and the canons of this Church.
- Weddings generally happen in the church building, with very limited exceptions. For weddings outside the church building, our priests must get permission from our bishop.
- One of our priests, Pastor Susan or Dr. Wayne, will officiate at the wedding. We do not generally allow guest clergy to officiate, although on special occasions we may work together with another clergy person from outside the church.
- Weddings are conducted according to the official rites allowed by The Episcopal Church. We use traditional vows and Scripture readings. Holy Communion may or may not be included, according to the preference of the couple.
- Music should be religious in nature, and our music director will be happy to work with you to choose appropriate pieces.
- Before performing a marriage, one of our priests will conduct a series of pre-marital counseling sessions with you.
- If one or more of the parties has been previously divorced, our priests are required to apply to our bishop for permission to perform the marriage.
- Fees for marriages at Nativity vary according to the type of ceremony and the facilities used.
- In general, marriages are conducted for Nativity members only.
Please contact Pastor Susan for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 480.307.9216.
We are glad to provide a Christian funeral service for our members and for others. To arrange for a service, please contact Pastor Susan at email@example.com or 480.307.9216. Services are generally conducted at Nativity, but on occasion, we are happy to officiate elsewhere. We do not currently have a columbarium, so we will come to your designated interment site to do the burial, which usually happens after the funeral service.
We encourage you to make plans for your own funeral service in advance. These plans include making a will, providing a Power of Attorney designating who will make end-of-life decisions for you, noting where all your important documents are, and of course, planning your own funeral service. All of this planning is a great gift to your family, allowing them to take care of their own needs at a difficult time without the burden of many decisions and uncertainties.
In order to help you make your plans, Nativity is happy to provide an advance-planning questionnaire, which you may download, print, and fill out. We encourage you to keep this questionnaire in a safe place at home where your family can find it, and we will also keep a copy on file at the church office, if you wish. The first part of the questionnaire has to do with general arrangements, and the second part deals with the funeral service itself. Click on the icon below to download the questionnaire.